Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Zakka Block Quilt


I had planned to make the full size Zakka Block Quilt this week, but when I thought about the fact that I still have the girls' three quilts to finish as well as our own quilt to start -- well, it seemed like throwing another lap quilt into the mix was a bad idea. The solution? Make it a mini.


I've been hanging on to a charm pack of Liz Scott's Domestic Bliss collection for a while now. I pulled out eight squares and cut them into quarters, then paired them with a grey colored linen blend for the front. I added a few full size charm squares for the back along with a pink herringbone print from Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow. The piece is quilted in a simple zig zag pattern and bound in the same grey linen.


This was my first time ever using linen in a quilt I made, and I have to say that I love the feel of it...so soft and cozy. I may end up trying this on a larger quilt at some point. It really does look lovely. By the way, I apologize for the slightly blurry look of the top photo in particular. I was fighting the wind as I took my pictures this evening, and just couldn't get that quilt to hold still for a hardly a second...

Linking up to TNT Thursday & the Zakka Along.

15 comments:

  1. Very sweet. I'm debating 'mini' myself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable, very, very pretty. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely, and gorgeous fabrics. Weirdly, I have just finished a quilt that is exactly the same design/layout as this! I used Ed Emberley Animal print fabrics. I really wanted each block to stand out so I surrounded each one with white. I hope to photograph and post about it later today. Great minds think alike :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going mini is such a good idea and already made you want to go large - it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Heidi. Your mini is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still have yet to try linen. It looks fabulous in the quilt. Love how it makes the domestic bliss pop!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely! I am making mine small too. I have too many big quilts to finish and didn't want to end up with another UFO.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I wasn't sure how I would like linen in a full quilt either. Good idea to try a mini first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this - the zig zag quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty! I like the quilting. I hadn't thought of zig zag.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope to get this one done eventually but like you I am swamped by other quilt WiPs. This one is fun. And you are hosting the 'Get Acquainted' blog hop this Tuesday...will be back.

    ReplyDelete

Aren't you the sweetest for leaving a comment! Due to all the ads that bombard this section, I have to moderate everything first, but look for your comment to post in a day or two. Thanks so much for writing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...